I am not sure what has triggered it, other than being a mom of two children, but I have been reminiscing a lot about the good old days. You know the days before children. The days of sweet freedom. The days where sleeping in meant 10 or 11am not 7am. Where we could spend an entire Saturday relaxing and enjoying our hobbies, taking a nap (after sleeping in till 10), and then spend the evening together eating a delicious meal out at a restaurant in peace and quiet and discussing adult things. We might be a bit tired from the exhausting day and have to rent a movie so we can relax from the busy week of working. This week I told Chad that I can't believe how much we run our dishwasher. It is at least every other day if not every day. I am not really that fond of emptying the dishwasher and I remember the days when we would complain about having to empty it once a week. We also talked about how we could clean the whole house in less than 2 hours working together and it would look great (and stay that way for more than a few hours). Now we are lucky to even have a partially clean house. But I also remember that while we were eating dinner at that nice restaurant we would talk about how bad we wanted kids and how we felt like our life wasn't complete. When we would lay around and relax on a Saturday I yearned for the day that we would be spending that time playing with our kids. Even though sleeping in is a thing of the past we now get to wake up to our 19 month old gabbing in his crib trying to find the words to talk to his mom and dad. Or we wake up to newborn cries of hunger that quickly go away once he is eating and that feeling of someone depending on you makes you feel like you are on top of the world. Even though we wish we could have that same feeling at 9am, we know we are truly blessed. Our lives have changed forever. We have two healthy, fun, and energetic sons that have made our lives complete but our days of looking and feeling young are gone.
My first job out of college working in the NICU

This is self explanatory
We are fully immersed in being parents with totally new priorities and new challenges. I NEVER thought I would look back on pictures (from 5-6 years ago) and think "man, we look young." I am sorry to say folks but that day is here. We are old. Where did the time go? In honor of my reminiscence I have posted a few "older" pictures of us. These were the good ole days...
This picture was taken on a *non digital* camera if that tells you anything.
We had only been dating a month or so at the time of this picture

This picture was taken in West End in Dallas Texas

This was at a friends wedding in Texas
No comments:
Post a Comment