Search This Blog

Monday, May 28, 2012

A weekend at the cabin

This year we were lucky enough to share a cabin with Al and Karen for our traditional memorial day weekend with the Hardt side of the family.  I was really excited to go this year since we would be able to have a cabin for naps/bedtime and would have plenty of space for all of our stuff.  Needless to say I didn't realize that packing a family of 5 for a few days was going to take me all day on Friday.  But we managed to get packed up and with 3 long lists of things to bring we only forgot 3 things, my bathing suit, and sunbutter and jelly for the kids lunch.  We did run to the closest Walmart at 10pm on Friday night (20 minutes away) to get a new swim suit for me.  The weekend started off with a bang, and we enjoyed a big family dinner, playing outside and a nice long walk.  We ended the evening with yummy s'mores.  We didn't get the kids down till 10pm which is about 2 1/2 to 3 hours past their normal bedtime.  The two oldest fell asleep fast in our bedroom on the queen bed and Callan slept in the pack n play in the same room.  We ran out to get the suit while the grandparents kept an eye on the kids.  When we got back we set up the air mattress for the older boys and moved them out to the living area.  They were so tired they didn't even move a muscle.

Callan on the other hand woke up when we came in the room to get our pajamas on and get out tooth brushes.  We thought he would go right back to sleep but apparently he had a strong power nap and believed it was morning.  That meant for the next 5-6 hours he talked, cried, jumped around, and yelled for us to get him up.  We tried everything to get him to go back to sleep.  We even put him in our bed with us, and that did not help. It was a nightmare!  If I wasn't sure before, I am sure now that I do not want anymore babies in our house.  I need my sleep too much.  He finally fell asleep around 5am and slept till about 8:30ish.  That morning Chad and I felt like complete and udder crap.  I could barely function and I was sick.  I was really nauseated and my stomach just didn't feel right.  After making pancakes I opted to go back to bed instead of eating.  We then went down to the marina around 10 to do the paddle boats.  The boys had fun on those and even more fun chasing all the geese that were around.  The rocking of the paddle boat made me even more sick so I decided to lay back down and skip lunch in hopes of feeling better to go swimming that afternoon.  Karen and Chad were not feeling the greatest either and later Camden had a bought of tummy troubles too.  In the afternoon we went to the big pool and water slides they have and the kids loved it.  Carter and Camden both went on the big slides (where a parent cannot go with you) but the outcome was better for Carter than poor Cam.  His little body took a tumble going around a curve and knocked him face first and upside down.  Of course he was scared but chad caught him at the end and was ok.  He didn't want to do it again but we told him he was brave for trying and we would do again when he was older.  Carter did great and wanted to go more.  They even have some tube slides in the main pool area that all 3 boys did.  Camden did great on those and wanted to go several times.  Carter and Noah were old enough that they could climb up and do it all on their own.  Callan would do anything.  He has no fear, so we would just put him on and he would go with the flow.  He really enjoyed the toddler frog slide and would keep going up time and time again.  We ended the evening with a cook out with the family and then went on a walk.  It was interrupted when our 4 year old looked at us and said "I am tired of walking, I just want to go home and lay down."  They kids had missed naps that day plus the late night before had just caught up with them.  We went back to the cabin, got on our PJ's and had a quick snack and then to bed.  I just have to say that I love that our kids are on a schedule, and it works for us 95% of the time but the 5% when you are out doing fun things and want to keep the kids up late or not have nap sometimes comes back to bite you in the behind.  But I am glad the kids recognize when they are tired and ask to go to bed.  The next morning we made a trip to the observation tower and then went home.  Carter wasn't feeling well and skipped lunch but our entire family took a nap and it was glorious.  The two youngest went down at 1 and slept till 5!  I think the weekend was a success despite the sickness and lack of sleep.  The laundry is done and our house is back in order to start our week off well.  Thanks to Al and Karen for letting us stay with you guys.  We really appreciate it.  Next year we got our own cabin which I think will be great too!  Here are some pictures of our weekend.
are they not adorable?



Karen, Faith and Gary



Faith and Chad

Tanner photo bombed our nice picture 

Faith, Taylor and Gary

What is Shawn doing on the roof?

Getting Noah's toy that was thrown up there

best buds Camden and Aunalie

Callan and Mason

L to R Aunalie, Camden, Tina, Kejuan, Trae, Carter, Noah, Shawn,  and Myles


time for s'mores!

the grilling master

the boys on the couch in the living room of the cabin

on the tower

silly boys


Carter beat us all down the tower

a quick shot before we leave Mahoney State Park


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lisa - awesome write-up and great pictures. Thanks for the thanks for sharing the cabin. It was so much fun for us grandparents to be with you, Chad, and those precious grand kids.