Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Fiedler Family Reunion

Over the Labor Day weekend we were able to do something we haven't done since 1991 and that was having a Fiedler family reunion!  The reason we haven't done it is because the family is just too big.  It is hard to coordinate dates, a place to meet and of course food to feed all of the family.  My mom was gracious enough to offer up her house, as a place to meet, her kitchen as the food prep place, and her time to set up all that is needed to house so many people.  I was a tad skeptical about it all working out, but it turned out to be a great get-together.  It was really fun to see some of my cousins that I haven't seen in a while and meet some of my second cousins that I have never seen.  It also got me thinking about the importance of family and that if it weren't for my grandparents, there would be a lot of us not here.  There are 93 people in the Fiedler family. Eight of the nine siblings were there. (12 out of 14 if you include the spouses) Eighteen of the 30 first cousins were there. (26 of 42 if you include the spouses) Last but not least 20 of the 35 second cousins were in attendance.  Plus on Sunday night two of my cousins, their spouses, and their 5 children combined came over.
Here is how it all started.
Patricia and Don Fiedler

With all of the kids...(except mary who wasn't born)
back row L-R: John, Bob, Don(my grandpa) holding Lucy, Trish holding Jim, and Ann
front row L-R: Carol, Nancy, Margaret, Ellen

a few years older
back row L-R: Margaret, Bob, Ann, Ellen, John
front row L-R: Lucy, Jim, Mary, Nancy

Our first family reunion circa 1986
back row L-R: Jim, Kelly, Rick, Lucy, Bob, Jim, Ann, Gary, Dale, John, Kevin
middle back row L-R: Mary, Ann, Doug, David, Tom, Nancy, Nancy
middle front row L-R: Margaret holding Alex, Paul, Rachael, Riley, Adam, Lisa, Brian, Ryan, Ellen holding Danny
front row L-R: Shelly, Grandpa, Grandma, Jenny


We braved it one more time in 1991
Back row: Bob, Rick, Dale
Next row: Jim, Doug, John, Tom, Gary, Ellen, Jim
Next row: Ann, Ryan, Kevin
Next row: Julie, Liz, Jen, Shelly, Nancy, Nancy Grandma, Ann, Grandpa
Next row: Lucy holding Lacey, Adam, Riley, Paul, Lisa, Rachael, Brian, Margaret holding Ricky, mary
Front row: Patrick, Alex, Danny, David, Tammy holding Thomas, Megan, Joey


This past labor day weekend
Bob, Ann, Ellen, Margaret, Lucy, Grandma, Grandpa, Nancy, Jim and John

Cousins
Ryan, Paul, Danny, Riley, Brian, David, Joesph, Jack, Liz, Adam
Lacey, Lisa
Jillian, Kate, Rachael, Emily, Franny

All of the cousins and their kids

2nd cousins

Camden, Carter holding Liam and Callan

Liam, Liz, Lisa, Lacey and Frannie

Grandma, Theresa, baby Lucy and Nancy

Lucy, Liz and Ann

Grandpa and my Mom

Brian, Riley and Lori

Tammy, Lacey, Lisa, Jim

Melanie, Paul, Carrie, Lisa and Ryan

Grandma and I

my mom, me and Maggie

Chad and I

Lucy, Lacy, Lisa, Ellen, Grace, Rachael, Austin

Carter and his new love Jillian.  He followed her around and absolutely adored her.
Thank you Jilly for playing with him. It made his whole night!

part of the crazy scene (58 people were there total)

these two were thick as thieves. Callan and Austin born 6 weeks apart

Margaret, David, and Lacey

Me with my grandparents


This weekend, although busy and tiring was really nice.  We spent Saturday night as a big family but I also got to spend time with two of my cousins and their families that I haven't seen in a while.  Both Liz and Rachael stayed at our place which meant lots of late night talks, watching our kids play and tons of laughs.  It makes me miss the carefree days of being a kid and not having to worry about anything.  I am so happy that my grandparents met, and that they were crazy enough to have 10 kids!  
A reunion would not be the same without also remembering those we have loved and lost.  Their smiles and laughter are always missed.  

Aunt Carol
Even though we never met, I have often wondered what you would have been like, who you would have looked like, and how many "fiedlerisms" you would have had. 

Uncle Gary
He was the sweetest man I had ever met. He always had a contagious smile and the patience of a saint. He welcomed anyone with open arms, and would give the shirt off his back to help. I have so many great memories on the farm with him.  My most favorite was the Thanksgiving that he took all the cousins out in the snow and pulled us in sleds behind the tractor.

Aunt Nancy
Nancy was also such a sweet and gentle person.  She always wanted to know what was new in your life and  made an effort to talk to everyone.  She and I shared a love for nursing, and I will always cherish that. I know she would have loved to see all the kids playing this weekend, especially all her beautiful grandchildren 

baby Thomas
(and baby Aaron)
Sweet baby Thomas.  He gave a lot to this world in such a short time.  I can still remember his smile. He would have been a great big brother to all his siblings.  

Thank you to all the families that came this weekend.  I am so glad we got the chance to catch up and hang out again.  I am blessed to have such a wonderful family and I am glad we got to share a little more time again. Also a big thanks to my mom and dad who hosted the big event and got everything ready!  Next time I am making shirts, so we need a little more time to plan. :)







No comments: