Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

April Antics

I just took some pictures off my camera and realized how long it had been since my last update.  We have been able to enjoy some of the bi-polar weather we have been having lately.  I even went so far as to put away the winter coats only to be laughed at by mother nature and have to get them out Monday morning for the snow on the ground.  The good news is we have had some amazing weather in the last few weeks and I soaked up every bit of it.  We spent time playing outside, taking walks, doing yard work and Chad and I even sat and chatted on the back porch with a beer after the kids were in bed one night.  I love spring weather and it is such a short season.  We decided to get a basketball hoop for the kids which we (Chad and his dad) installed on a very cold day.  So far it has been a great decision. The kids have loved it and so have the neighbors.  Even Chad and I got out and played some.
cementing the pole in

We also supported the back pack program for the food bank and went on a mile walk as a family.  It was pretty fun and Carter enjoyed being with some of his classmates.Chad also started a new job at Firespring, which he has loved so far.  It was a hard decision for him to leave IBM because he liked his job and really liked the people he worked with.  After being at Firespring for a few weeks I think he is really happy that he took the job.  Here is what the kids have been up to.
spring crafts from preschool


waiting to pick up big brother
Camden had a little break from preschool a few weeks ago due to parent teacher conferences.  His conference went well and he is doing great academically and socially.  The teacher told us that she thinks Camden is getting bored at times, like when the class counts to 100 and he wants to go faster, which has possibly caused some unwanted behavior.  We told her we wanted her to continue to put him in the yellow if he is not listening or following directions because he has to learn that even if he is bored he needs to be able to control himself. Thankfully after some discussion with him his behavior has gone back to "normal".  Camden has a new love for Pig and Elephant books. He saw a book in the scholastic reader magazine that was titled "I am a Frog" and he told me he wanted that one.  So when he was at the library he told grandma Ellen that he wanted to check it out.  So my mom asked him the title and then asked him if he knew the author. He thought for a second and then without skipping a beat he said "Mo Willems".  This kid doesn't miss the details.  For some reason these books crack him up and he loves to read them on his own.  He also reads all the labels on food he eats and now asks for more lowfat 1% pasteurized milk instead of just milk. We also had another milestone happen when we registered him for kindergarten! Can you believe it? I can't. But he is really excited about it and keeps asking if he will get to see Carter while he is there.  School will be good for him and I am happy that he gets to go and be like his big brother.
practicing for his upcoming recital

the new playground at swim school

Carter is getting excited for his school's art night where some of his art work is displayed.  He still enjoys art quite a bit and often draws sports team mascots or makes team brackets. He will also write stories about video games.  He was the most excited about the new basketball hoop.  He has been outside shooting hoops any time we let him and the weather is cooperating.  He uses a big mens ball and is continually getting better. He also likes it that is attracts the neighbors over and they all play games that they make up.  Carter just got his 3rd quarter report card and everything looks good.  He works very hard and he deserves his marks. The math keeps getting harder and more frustrating but I think he is taking in stride (better than me).  They are taking time tests in both addition and subtraction right now.  He passed the addition and is still working on the subtraction one. He is continuing his love for all sports and was really happy that we recorded the spring Husker football game so that he could watch it one afternoon.  He just brought home a project he did where he had to describe himself.  Here is what he said about himself. Smart, funny, flexible, athletic and weird.  I love that kid!  Here is a conversation we had about marriage in the car one day. He says "mom, is it ok, after school, to ask a girl to marry you? or should I wait until high school or college?" Me-"I think college is probably better than first grade." Carter-"that's a long time and I have two girls I want to ask." 

loves the new slide at swim school

sunday school crown

Callan is loving being outside more.  He has started riding Camden's bike with training wheels which he is really proud of.  He has been playing some basketball but has enjoyed the neighbors new lab puppy much more.  He loves to tell stories and loves to use the word betuz (because). He always explains why he is doing something.  "I am going to eat all my lunch betuz, betuz, betuz, I want some dessert." It is super cute.  He is also aware when he starts to pronounce things the correct way.  A while back I posted that he started saying yellow correctly and now he is working on his "s" sound.  When he gets it correct he is very proud. The other morning while I was snuggling Callan I told him that he was getting too big. That he was my baby and I wanted him to stay little forever. So I turned to him and said "will you please stop growing?" He said to me "Well you are going to have to ask God!"  He cracks me up!  He also showed me how much he loves his brothers when this happened the other night. After the kids were in bed I over hear this conversation (the kids are in bed and know not to get out) Carter- "Camden, do you know how to add dimes, quarters, pennies and nickels?" Camden starts to cry "No, I am not in first grade so I don't know!" Callan who is in the room next to them yells out "what is going on over there?" Then there is silence for about a minute (except for Camden crying) Then I hear Callan get up and stand by his door and yell "mom, I am coming out! I hear someone crying and I need to check it out!" I think he will be sad next year with both of his brothers are in school. 
playing basketball with the neighbors

getting better

they still fit the laundry basket

reading to their animals

trike rider

bike rider

who knows what they are playing

pistachio snack

a fun day at the open gym

they loved it!

and had fun with friends

beam

food bank backpack 1 mile walk

walking

enjoying a nice afternoon

having fun at small group

Brook reading to the kids

showing their preschool pride!





No comments: