Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

February Frenzy

It is still bitterly cold here and I think everyone is ready for the spring.  I am looking forward to not putting on coats and to hopefully have a healthy family.  We spread around another illness in our house. Thankfully it was just a bad cold and resulted in short fevers but days of coughs. Chad and I both got it as well but is was tolerable.  I can't wait until they can go outside and enjoy the weather and be kids.  We were able to get out in the snow one afternoon this past weekend that wasn't so bitterly cold. The kids all love playing in snow. The kids are looking forward to Valentine's Day and are excited about their room parties.  We also celebrated Grandpa Dale's birthday on Sunday which is always fun. We are starting to plan our summer and figure out what the kids are going to do. We always do the two VBS weeks and I think I am going to send Carter and maybe Camden to camp Sonshine this summer. I have heard nothing but great things about that camp. Here is a little bit about what has been going on with the kids.
Dale's 61st birthday

singing happy birthday

Callan is loving his voice more and more each day. He will use it all times, and especially when you talking. It is as if when you start to talk it triggers something in his brain to immediately start talking. We are working on this.  He now really understands what it means to communicate and tell stories and *needs* to be apart of everything.  One hundred times a day I hear "I have to tell you something mommy!" When I indulge him he will tell me a made up story that is usually completely unrelated to what we are talking about, but man does that kid have an imagination.  I do love his stories and often laugh when I realize how he sees the world.  He is catching on to our stories as well and will interject his own opinion by using one of his friends name.  If we are talking about how much we like oatmeal at breakfast he will chime in "Brooks doesn't like to eat his oatmeal." He also uses his puppy "Woofster" to tell stories. If Callan is sick and has to take medicine he will tell me that Woofster took his medicine too but he doesn't like the orange one.  The other day when I asked him if he would always be my baby he said "no, but I will be your nugget" (I often call him my little nugget) Camden has been working with Callan on saying words the right way. He says lellow for yellow and Camden will have his say yell which he does, and then say ow. Then when he puts them together he goes back to saying lellow.  But one time he said yellow and the sheer joy that came over him was priceless. Of course Camden and I were cheering, but he grinned from ear to ear and clapped and said "I did it! I did it!" He is also starting to wipe himself! Dear God we are so close to independence over hear and I am so overjoyed!
Our independent five year old is getting more mature as days pass. We just got the stuff in the mail to register him for kindergarten! Crazy! One of Camdens new little quirks is that when he needs to do his bathroom business he has a routine. He now shuts and locks the bathroom door and turns on the "air conditioner". He says he needs his privacy. He is notorious now for reading over your shoulder when you are on the computer and inquiring about what you are reading.  He will sit in the car and read out loud anything he can. One day I heard him say "that says kitchen on the go" when I questioned what he saw he pointed to a food truck that said that on the side. He then explained that it was a kitchen on the go because the truck could move any place it wanted. Then as we continued down the road he saw the Phillips gas station sign. When I asked him how he knew it said Phillips he said "well sometimes a ph sound makes the f sound. and because it is also on my tooth brush (sonicare toothbrush made by Phillips) This kid can remember some of the craziest things. One other crazy thing that happened with Camden one morning happened when Chad was helping him brushing his teeth. He was looking at Chad's shirt in the mirror because he had on a Wolverine shirt. He was looking at it in the mirror and then ran off into the kitchen and got out some paper and markers. He then ran to me to show me that he wrote Wolverine. When I glanced at it I didn't even make sense of it until I realized that he had written it just as he saw it, in mirror image.  I held it up in front of the mirror and could read it perfectly. I have no idea if he wrote it left to right or right to left but either way it was very interesting. He also got a kick out of finding out that in the song "what does the fox say" that the elephant says "toot". He thought it said "too" but he likes "toot" much better and shouts it out every time!
Carter is trucking along in school and at home.  He was thrilled that we got to go to a super bowl party at one of our friends houses.  He has become a huge football fan and checks out a football book from the school library almost every week.  We got him a poster from the book fair that has all the NFL team helmets on it and he was in heaven!  He told me yesterday that he is writing his story at school on the Seahawks and that he is on page two already. He was doing "research" in one of his books the other day.  He has been begging to play flag football. So we decided that next fall we will put him on a team through the Y. He also uses the term "versing" when talking about who is playing who and uses verses as a verb. Apparently it is common for kids after reading this article. Thought that was interesting. Carter also showed us how big of a heart he has (and maybe how tired he is with all the extra drama). The other night we were all saying night prayers and we have been using a prayer pail with peoples names on them to change things up. We drew out our family's names and went around and picked who we wanted to pray for. Callan was second to last and he was sad he didn't get to choose mommy because Carter already choose me. So while Callan threw a little fit we all went around and prayed for our person. When it was Callan's turn he refused to pray for Daddy (the name he drew). So Carter offered to say a prayer for him as well. He also offered to let Callan have my name. We told him thanks for the offer but that Callan needs to learn that some nights he doesn't get to pick first and he is going to have to live with that. The prayer ended nicely but when Callan realized we skipped him and he did not get to say a prayer for mommy he had a melt down. We ignored it and put him to bed and told him he was welcome to pray for me anytime he wanted.  Carter felt bad and came into Callan's room to apologize for picking mommy's name. He then broke down in tears and when I asked him what was wrong he said "I should have just picked daddy's name, I was trying to decided who I wanted to pick and it wasn't that big of a deal to me but it was to Callan." He is saying all of this through sobs! Then he says "I didn't want to pray for mommy that bad anyway!" I stepped back and said, well that kinda hurts my feelings. He then followed it up with "I'm sorry, that's not what I meant, I just meant I would have been ok praying for daddy!"  Poor kid. As sad as it was to see him feeling that way it does make you happy that he has a big heart and doesn't want others to be sad (even his own brother). I told Carter that Callan really didn't want to pray for me that much either but he was just being a typical 3 year old who wanted control of the situation but that I appreciated his kind heart and willingness to give to Callan.  I am sure some of his emotion was because it was the end of the day but I love that he wears his heart on his sleeve. He will definitely be hurt by people in his life but hopefully he will also be able to love deeply.
eating a lime

playing in the snow

action shot

can you 3 please get together for a picture? 

loving the snow

king of the snow mountian

making a snow ball

putting the kids to work. one dusts while the other vacuums 

Camden had a themed week at preschool. The first day was sports day and I didn't get a picture of that. This was crazy hat day. He made his own hat using his birthday crown

His favorite day at preschool, pajama day!

We watching the neighbors baby girl one day and Callan loved her! He was just concerned that milk was not enough for her and that she need a "nack(snack)" with him

after swimming all the boys couldn't wait for her wake up to hold her (it was short lived by the way)

Poor Everly was not happy about being passed around.

quiet time on the weekend

No comments: